Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cheng Beng ---> family gathering

Last saturday i went for cheng beng with my family to pray for my grandpa(i never see him before! ) and grandma.
actually to be honest, i don't know what cheng beng is all about.
i just know every year we'll go to the grave sites to pray for them and offer some foods, tea, wine..?, paper accessories as in those paper shoes, money, shirts, etc,...
i think it is a day to remember and honor one's ancestor at grave sites but i think it is more to family reunion with the ancestors, don't u think so?
every family will gather at the grave site and pray together, clean up the surroundings and after the worship(??) they will start eating the food they brought for the worship.

my uncle preparing to put the firecrackers

Luckily i went for cheng beng because this year only me and another 3 cousins went.i think my grandma and grandpa must be disappointed.imagine.my grandma has 7 sons and 4 daughters....i have so many cousins but only 4 of us attended for the cheng beng.i remembered last few years ago, many of them went until there were no place for us to stand but this year....sigh...not my familys' tradition anymore.i felt so guilty that morning because i actually have the thought of not going also. =(
oh ya.we even put firecrackers for twice!hehe. ;)



Anyway i do agree that our original cultures and traditions are significant in our life but it is fading away each year.every occasions has its own meaning.as for me, i think cheng beng is really a right time for a family gathering.don't u think so???

No comments: